Student Senate recognizes new religious group on URI campus
The University of Rhode Island Student Senate recognized a new group during their meeting on Wednesday night.
The Campus Ministry International (CMI) organization is centered on promoting a public forum in which all members can openly discuss and study the teachings of Jesus Christ.
"We don't just want to learn more about each other, but [also] our spirituality," Raquel Mendez, the president of CMI and member of senate, said. "[This group] is different than most of the organizations that just focus on religion."
Due to their former president being too busy and missing a number of meetings, the club failed to apply for the Senate's re-recognition bill, on which the group voted last week.
CMI currently has around 15 members and intends on holding Bible studies and inviting pastors from Providence to give discussions. All interested are encouraged to join.
In other news:
-Wednesday's meeting was the last of the semester for the Senate. They will reconvene in late January.
-At their first meeting of the spring semester, Senate will vote on allowing a programming contingency grant for the Outing Club. The group is requesting $2,400 to purchase punch passes to the Rock Gym in Lincoln, which can be obtained from the Memorial Union Box Office at a date to be determined.
-Senate will also soon be voting on the recognition of two new clubs at the university. The Sports Medicine Club is focused on promoting education and interest in jobs related to the health field. The Pharmaceutical Sciences Club is an organization that encourages the study of and interest in pharmaceutical sciences as potential careers.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Recent The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
- Former URI basketball player charged with first-degree murder
- Alumni serve community through campus cleanup
- Student Alumni Association to host 24th annual Oozeball
- Public relations UnClassroom experience helps publicize theater
- Event to bring attention to sexual violence on campus
- URI student honored at State House
- The Big Event Indian Festival
RECENT THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?