Men's track captures AIC invitational win over weekend
This past Saturday the University of Rhode Island men's track team won its first event of the year, after sitting out the previous meet because of weather concerns.
The Rams won the meet with a total of 163.66 points beating out the University of Massachusetts Amherst (107), Central Connecticut State University (105) and American International College (85).
The Rams' win was fueled by five first-place finishes on the day. Senior Justin Nicoll won the hammer toss and earned 10 points for Rhode Island with his 54.24 meter toss. Freshman Matthew Dionne also scored 10 points for the Rams with his first-place finish in the high jump event (1.94m).
Junior Shaikat Bardhan contributed 10 points of his own after winning the 110 meter hurdles event (14.75) while teammates junior Wayne Seaton earned third place (15.06) and senior Joseph Sliwoski finished in fifth (15.12).
"I am very proud of all our runners," head coach John Copeland said. "It really does a lot for our confidence and momentum when you go out in win one of the first meets of the outdoor season. I'm happy to see that the players transitioned well from indoor to outdoor because sometimes that can be a major issue going into the spring."
Plenty of the Rhode Island runners contributed to the win across the board on Saturday. Junior Corey Coogan earned five points in his fourth place finish during the 800-meter run with a time of 1:58.64 while his teammate sophomore Marcos Rodriguez scored two points with a seventh place finish (1:59.75).
Freshman Joseph Marini added eight points for the Rams with a second-place finish in the triple jump event with a leap of 14.12 meters.
Rounding it out for the Rams was junior Andrew Piscitelli who earned 10 points with his first-place finish in the discuss throw event, throwing for 47.96 meters.
The Rams will look to continue their hot start to the season when the team travels to Knoxville, Tenn. on April 11 and 12 for the Sea Ray Decathlon.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Recent The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
- Former URI basketball player charged with first-degree murder
- Alumni serve community through campus cleanup
- Student Alumni Association to host 24th annual Oozeball
- Public relations UnClassroom experience helps publicize theater
- Event to bring attention to sexual violence on campus
- URI student honored at State House
- The Big Event Indian Festival
RECENT THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care