URI Habitat for Humanity club raises $14,488 in 2011
The University of Rhode Island Habitat for Humanity Club raised $14,488 in 2011, which it presented to South Country Habitat for Humanity during a ceremony on Feb 4.
The ceremony took place during the URI vs. Temple Men's Basketball game, with South County Habitat Development and Marketing Manager Kate Porter in attendance to receive the check.
The funds donated were gained through a combination of several events. This past April's "Pound the Pavement, Pound a Nail" walk raised $9,563. The Homecoming campaign raised $3,425 in October, an effort that included clubs and organizations such as Greek Life, women's volleyball, and football. The December 2011 URI and South County Habitat for Humanity's Gingerbread House competition this past December raised an additional $1,500.
The South County and URI Habitat for Humanity plan to use the money to build four homes on Old North Road adjacent to URI's Kingston campus.
"[The homes cure] to URI, where homeowners can benefit from the URI campus culturally and educationally," Executive Director of South County Habitat for Humanity, Lou Raymond said, "It is also near transportation lines, so folks can take buses into Providence. It has a lot of advantages, especially in regards to its community location."
URI Habitat for Humanity club looks to beat a goal of $10,000 for 2012. President of the club Scott Andrews said the club has multiple events in the works for this semester.
The first event is a Zumbathon, a Latin dance-inspired fitness program Tuesday, Feb. 28 from 7-9 p.m. in the Memorial Union Ballroom. A $5 minimum donation allows individuals to participate in two Zumba classes with a short break in between.
Another fundraiser will involve selling pins for a faculty and staff Dress Down Day on Friday, March 30. Pins will go on sale next week for a $5 minimum donation.
On March 31 the club will be working with the URI and South County Community Partnership to host the South County second annual URI "Pound the Pavement, Pound a Nail".
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Recent The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
- Former URI basketball player charged with first-degree murder
- Alumni serve community through campus cleanup
- Student Alumni Association to host 24th annual Oozeball
- Public relations UnClassroom experience helps publicize theater
- Event to bring attention to sexual violence on campus
- URI student honored at State House
- The Big Event Indian Festival
RECENT THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care