URI marine biology student reflects on fellowship chance
Junior and marine biology major Sarah Merolla was given an opportunity like no other this past summer. Merolla received the University of Rhode Island Summer Undergraduates Research Fellowship, allowing her to go scuba diving in the restored Elkhorn Coral Reef, off of Guana Island in the British Virgin Islands.
Merolla had just been certified to scuba dive the summer prior to this. As part of the process, she also had to get first aid certified. Merolla said the overall experience of scuba diving was "very new to [her]" but that "the diving experience was overall amazing."
As part of the research fellowship Merolla got the opportunity to view and study the fish that lived and visited the restored coral reef.
"[It's] based on an ongoing project [where] they've been surveying coral for 20 years and restoring it for five years, looking at the fish populations," Merolla said.
Merolla said one of the more interesting things she saw while on the research fellowship was, "the many different kinds of fish I had never seen before," as well as, "eels, an octopus and a sea turtle."
Merolla described the Elkhorn Coral Reef as "amazing...something ill never forget...very isolated."
The Summer Undergraduates Research fellowship lasted about one month this past summer. Merolla described the duration as her least favorite part, saying she wished she "had a longer experience."
After college, Merolla plans to go on to graduate school and possibly work for a government agency dealing with marine life. Her advice for anyone who would like to pursue a research fellowship is "to apply to as many places as you can because I never thought I would get selected...go for all the experiences you can while in college."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
- Former URI basketball player charged with first-degree murder
- Alumni serve community through campus cleanup
- Student Alumni Association to host 24th annual Oozeball
- Public relations UnClassroom experience helps publicize theater
- Event to bring attention to sexual violence on campus
- URI student honored at State House
- The Big Event Indian Festival
RECENT THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care