Rhody the Ram celebrates 88th birthday
Rhody the Ram celebrates his 88th birthday on the Quadrangle yesterday by going “right hand green” in a game of Twister. Teresa Kelly
The one fan you can always expect to see at any University of Rhode Island home sporting event is Rhody the Ram, but yesterday it was the students' turn to go see Rhody on the Quadrangle to celebrate his 88th birthday as URI's mascot.
The celebration began at about 11 a.m. and was sponsored and organized by the Student Alumni Association, who also organized the Rhody Rally last semester. The SAA had snacks and soda available for students including Keaney blue and white colored cupcakes.
Students who wanted to participate in the celebration had to pay a flat price of $2, and donations were also accepted. The fee allowed students to participate in all the games being held as many times as they wanted to for the entire day. It also entered participants into a raffle to win tickets to last night's Wiz Khalifa concert in the Thomas M. Ryan Center.
The SAA organized games that students could partake in between classes, such as, Twister, Minute to Win It, URI Trivia and Catch Phrase. Rhody stopped by the quad at about 1 p.m. to celebrate his birthday and take pictures with students.
The money made and donated by students will go to the Make A Wish Foundation. Spirit Chair of the SAA Merita Nezaj, who organized most of the event, said that the SAA thought it would be appropriate to have the money go to Make A Wish because it is Rhody's birthday wish.
"We wanted to celebrate Rhody's birthday to build more school spirit and unity," Nezaj said. "We figured why not have the celebration on the quad where students will be walking by?"
Nezaj said that she estimates about $150 was raised during the event, which is about how much the group had expected. She said that more importantly the SAA wanted to get the word out on campus that it was Rhody's birthday and that the money would be going to a good cause.
"It was a cool thing to check out in between classes," sophomore Gil Moskowitz said. "I didn't know our school's mascot was that old."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Recent The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
- Former URI basketball player charged with first-degree murder
- Alumni serve community through campus cleanup
- Student Alumni Association to host 24th annual Oozeball
- Public relations UnClassroom experience helps publicize theater
- Event to bring attention to sexual violence on campus
- URI student honored at State House
- The Big Event Indian Festival
RECENT THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools