Crazy spring breaks are no longer the norm
With spring break around the corner, all everyone seems to be talking about is what they're doing over the break. To be sure, there are the lucky few going on cruises to tropical islands or getting wild in Miami, but for the most part, people seem, to me at least, to be content with going home and seeing family and friends.
Unless I am missing something, this is generally how it goes for spring break. Only a minority of students live up to the movie-worthy spring break plans that college kids stereotypically have. So why do so many people seem to think otherwise?
For example, some of my international friends were shocked to learn that I wasn't going on an epic, binge-drinking adventure over spring break, but instead trudging back to my hometown for a rather winter-like "spring" break. Coming from Europe, they too had heard the wild stories of crazy American spring break parties and were expecting that nearly all the students would be headed south for beaches and booze. In fact, they seemed almost disappointed that I would not be having a spring break a la "The Hangover" or "Eurotrip."
And just today, my teacher asked our class about spring break, apparently expecting these kinds of plans to be in the works. Just one out of roughly 35 people in the class was doing anything remotely related to the stereotypical American spring break party week. The majority of the class was just going home. Again, my teacher seemed seriously let down by our lack of planned drunken escapades in exotic locations.
While I understand that this is the stereotype for American college kids, I am surprised that so many are disappointed in less-than-stellar spring break plans. The economy is crap and we students are broke as it is, so financing a cruise to the Bahamas is just not in the picture for some. And heaven forbid we don't want to spend every waking moment wasted and partying with the entirety of college-aged America in some over-priced Miami resort. Sorry? Not really.
So congrats to those spending a wild spring break in Cancun, but I'm not coming with you. And honestly, I'm not even that jealous. Well, just a tiny bit.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Recent The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
- Former URI basketball player charged with first-degree murder
- Alumni serve community through campus cleanup
- Student Alumni Association to host 24th annual Oozeball
- Public relations UnClassroom experience helps publicize theater
- Event to bring attention to sexual violence on campus
- URI student honored at State House
- The Big Event Indian Festival
RECENT THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care