Editorial: Hit the polls
Rising tuition prices in this tough economy have created a hostile environment for college students, especially those attending the University of Rhode Island, where state funds are dwindling and higher education always seems to be facing new cuts.
Many students have taken the opportunity to have their voices heard. Some students turned to "occupy" the Quadrangle in protest of tuition cuts. Another student is lobbying to stop cuts to services that politicians see little resistance in removing.
Some student groups are out this week to encourage participation in democracy, both at the campus level with this week's Student Senate elections and at the local, state and federal levels where groups such as the College Democrats are helping register students to vote.
Moreover, plans are in the works to bus URI students to the State House on March 22 for a hearing on tuition costs. If you feel passionate about an issue such as your tuition, involving yourself in the democratic process is a way to make your voice heard. If you are an out-of-state student and you think your voice doesn't count, think again. Voting laws in Rhode Island allow anyone who has maintained residency at one address for more than 30 days to register to vote in town and state elections. If you are a registered voter, then your opinion will matter more to state legislators.
If you have never voted in an election before, you can start this week by voting in the Student Senate elections Wednesday and Thursday. If you found that process to be simple, then set your sites on the November general election.
You have the chance to make your voice heard if you hold politicians accountable for their actions. If you don't like how things are going, apathy is not a tool of change. You have the right to have your voice heard, now use it. Get out and vote and create the change you want to see.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Recent The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
- Former URI basketball player charged with first-degree murder
- Alumni serve community through campus cleanup
- Student Alumni Association to host 24th annual Oozeball
- Public relations UnClassroom experience helps publicize theater
- Event to bring attention to sexual violence on campus
- URI student honored at State House
- The Big Event Indian Festival
RECENT THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care