Editorial: Give back
With the fall season quickly making way for winter, it is rapidly approaching the time of year when people across the country take stock of what is important in their lives and give thanks for what they are grateful for. For University of Rhode Island students, as the recent tuition dispute exemplify, coming by a college education is not always an easy thing. For many it takes sacrifice. For most it takes dedication and hard work. But regardless of the struggle it takes for us to work toward a degree, there is always time to think about those who are struggling in different ways.
As URI students, we are afforded so many opportunities to reach out, locally and globally, to help enrich others' lives. Through organizations, such as the Matty Fund, students get a first-hand look at working with a nonprofit. There are also many other opportunities to get involved in nonprofits, charities and grassroots organizations beyond URI, through sites like idealist.org.
For students looking for an outlet to lend some time and a helping hand, there are many groups on campus that are aimed at a diverse set of causes—finding something that hits home for you and will drive you to help make the world a better place is as easy as perusing the student organizations listing or campus map. For example, opportunities are always available through Clearinghouse for Volunteers, which can be found in Roosevelt Hall, room 127.
Many other campus organizations, including the URI chapter of Habitat for Humanity, volunteer often and directly with the community at large. Other campus social groups, like the various chapters in Greek Life, also have strong philanthropic components. As such, URI students have a great mix of organizations to get involved in, making it simple for college students to give back in any way they can.
With an already packed schedule, finding time to lend a hand is not always simple—luckily, URI makes it a bit easier. Now's the time to start giving back, so get a jump start.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Recent The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
- Former URI basketball player charged with first-degree murder
- Alumni serve community through campus cleanup
- Student Alumni Association to host 24th annual Oozeball
- Public relations UnClassroom experience helps publicize theater
- Event to bring attention to sexual violence on campus
- URI student honored at State House
- The Big Event Indian Festival
RECENT THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit