Women's tennis team wins against Bucknell University
After suffering a six game losing streak to Southern Illinois University (6-1), Coastal Carolina University (7-0), Bethune Cookman University (4-3), University of Massachusetts (7-0), Brown University (7-0) and the New Jersey Institute of Technology (7-0), the University of Rhode Island snapped that streak with a 6-1 win over Bucknell University last Friday afternoon.
The Rams played some of their best tennis all season, especially with their singles play, which had been struggling during the six game losing streak.
Rhody swept all six singles matches with a win from seniors Pam Emery, Kristen Leikem and Tristany Leikem, as well as freshmen Kathleen Uy, Karolina Wojciak and Nithila Asokaraj.
Both Leikems sisters teamed up in doubles to beat their Bucknell opponents, 8-5, while Uy and Asokaraj fell just short, losing 9-8 (6).
"It was good for us to finally get a win after that frustrating losing streak," head coach Val Villucci said. "I am proud of our team. They really came out strong today and played some good tennis. It is one thing to win a match, but when you win one 6-1, it helps give your team some momentum."
The Rams will need all the momentum they can get as they head into the rest of their season. The girls will need to put some wins together to help pick up their record after the six losses.
"I have the utmost confidence in our players to step up and turn this season around. We have so much talent in this program," Villucci said.
The team will return to the court on Sunday, March 25, when it will host Marist College at 1 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Recent The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
- Former URI basketball player charged with first-degree murder
- Alumni serve community through campus cleanup
- Student Alumni Association to host 24th annual Oozeball
- Public relations UnClassroom experience helps publicize theater
- Event to bring attention to sexual violence on campus
- URI student honored at State House
- The Big Event Indian Festival
RECENT THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?