URI track athletes named to A-10 All-Conference teams
University of Rhode Island senior Marissa Norman and junior William Janes were each named to the Atlantic-10 Conference Indoor Track & Field Academic All-Conference teams.
This was the first time that both local players received the high honor.
Norman, a native of Peace Dale, R.I., won her second pentathlon title in a week's time at the 2012 New England Indoor Championship. She earned a personal best 3,515 points after winning the long jump (5.18m), tying for first in the high jump (1.66m) and placing second in the 60m hurdles (9.28), third in the 800m run (2:29.04) and seventh in the shot put (10.21m).
Head coach John Copeland was proud of his runners' performance.
"For them to both perform well on and off the track, is a great accomplishment," he said. "I am very proud to coach at a school that clearly promotes both athletics and academics because both are so important for these players."
Just a week earlier at the 2012 Atlantic 10 Indoor Championship, Norman defended her pentathlon title, earning 3,504 points. She holds a cumulative GPA of 3.61, majoring in psychology.
Janes, from Newport, R.I., was runner-up in the weight throw (18.69m) at the 2012 Atlantic-10 Indoor Championship. He earned third a week later in the weight throw with a personal best 18.78m at the 2012 New England Indoor Championship. He holds a cumulative GPA of 3.44 and is majoring in kinesiology.
The two athletes will have a few days to rest and recover before the outdoor season starts. The next meet for the Rams will take place this weekend at the Northeastern Invitational in Dedham, Mass.
"We are very excited to get the rest of this season done and head outdoors for the spring," Copeland said. "We should be able to compete strongly all year."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Recent The Good 5 Cent Cigar News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR NEWS
- Former URI basketball player charged with first-degree murder
- Alumni serve community through campus cleanup
- Student Alumni Association to host 24th annual Oozeball
- Public relations UnClassroom experience helps publicize theater
- Event to bring attention to sexual violence on campus
- URI student honored at State House
- The Big Event Indian Festival
RECENT THE GOOD 5 CENT CIGAR CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care